Tuesday, March 22, 2011

March showers?

It rained all day long on Sunday and part of Monday, but no sign of rain today. Which is awesome, because later Sparky and I are driving to Vegas for work and some visiting with family.

Sparky can't wait to see his best friend Ziggy (Cali's dog)... he loves him!  And is also slightly afraid of him.
Last Friday, our friend Erynn came over for dinner. She's visiting from Seattle, and we enjoyed barbecued tri-tip, mashed potatoes, grilled zucchini with fresh garden herbs, and wine. It was good to see her and catch up!
Luckily the weather was nice, and we were able to eat dinner outside for the first time this year. We really enjoy our outdoor spaces, and I miss using them all winter.
Carmen bought me some beautiful flowers, Canterbury Bells, and they really brighten things up.
I love the purple ones...
Saturday we spent working around the house. Except our quick trip to THE MOST AWESOME PLACE EVER... Apex Electronics. I don't even know what to say about it. I could have spent all day poking through all the stuff they had, and thinking of ways to repurpose it.

Who doesn't need a centrifuge??
Or a bent up propeller??
I took this picture of Neil on the way out. I think it makes him look little. He says it's something to do with film and projectors and stuff... I was too busy staring at other junk while he was talking to remember.
Sadly, we had to leave Apex. But I'll be back, mom in tow!

We picked up more straw, especially Sparky...
And Neil built a box for lettuces and another for herbs. We're done with the garden now, really. I SWEAR.

We were out of compost though, and made a trip to the free compost site to stock up. It always amazes me how hot it gets!
Winchester discovered the catnip we started, and he LOVES it. So much! It's a good thing it grows so fast; his love is not gentle.
Of course, this is what happens post-catnip:
Sunday we woke up to rain, and lots of it. I don't think it stopped once all day. Our seedlings were already trying to recover from us accidentally overwatering them, so I was sure I'd have to start seedlings all over again after seeing our beds become ponds.

But when we went out the next morning to survey the damage, there wasn't much. You can see the waterline on the sides of the boxes... the straw we had put out the day before was all floating.
Whether or not the excess water will hurt them remains to be seen, I guess. And it's not done raining, more is forecast throughout the week!

We stayed inside all day Sunday and watched movies. And relaxed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment